Wednesday, May 04, 2005

What Gets Me In Trouble

I finally responded to an email I got from a guy in my ski group, who was thanking me for "hosting a good season and a lot of fun" (I think he was there toward the end of the season when everyone had dropped the pretence of being a responsible adult who could pass a drug test). I wrote a heartfelt message to him, telling him he is a great guy and that everybody loved hanging out with him.

Today I got an email from another guy in the group with a similar 'thank you' and rather than re-write some unique, heartfelt message of another kind, I copied and pasted from the first one, changed up the details, and sent it.

I didn't realize that the WHOLE. FLIPPING. GROUP. was copied on the 2nd message and now the first guy must feel like he got a totally false, cookie-cutter response. But really it was the 2nd guy who got the false, cookie-cutter response! I meant it when I said it to the first guy:

"Thanks for your message! It was so much fun spending time with you this winter. Everybody said what a great guy you are, and I agree completely."

What a bunch of crap.

It is NOT a good idea to reply-all as a habit. It will get you into trouble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters