Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Punk Rock

In order for me to date a guy he needs to be punk rock. I try to tell people (friends, family) what I'm looking for in a man, what I find attractive and it's that. It's an attitude. This explains why I don't find men at work attractive 99% of the time. They're not punk rock.

I work in a corporate la-la-landscape and I see stuff every day that is definitely not punk rock. Maybe it's because we are all almost 40 and most normal people have stopped believing in punk rock by this age, but I still believe in having a certain punk aura.

Here is what I know: if you're a guy, using a stairclimber is not punk rock. Don't even get on the thing. You are going to look like a sissy bouncing up and down on one of those things. There is just no way to look cool while you are bouncing like that. Mr. Sweating Man on the Stairclimber with the free company t-shirt, you are not punk rock.

2 Comments:

Blogger brainhell said...

Well, one aspect of punk is self-humiliation in the form of appearance, and another is not giving a shite what other people think about you. At an advanced stage that might mean going corporate. And getting a workout is good. So the bouncing guy COULD be punk, even though you and I know he's not.

5:24 PM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

Okay. I love you friend, but let's think about our age for a sec. What does 40 year old (almost) punk rock man look like? He looks like shit. He looks like he has been rode hard and put away wet. He has smoked and drank WAY TOO MUCH. He looks like Keith Richards (except he doesn't make as much money - not NEARLY as much.) Meanwhile, guy on the stairmaster likes the Flaming Lips, the Pixies and had a Sex Pistols poster on his wall in high school, BUT he likes to eat BACON and BUTTER and MEAT (like you) so he has to do something about it at the gym because he is gainfully EMPLOYED and he doesn't have enough time to water ski every afternoon. You know what I'm saying?

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters