Thursday, April 27, 2006

Six weeks have gone by since I broke up with Tad, and in that time I have been Internet dating like mad. My friend Stacie said it's her theory that you have to meet eleven or twelve people before you meet someone that you really like. So with typical gusto I have taken up the challenge. BRING ON THE PARADE!

I have already met eight men...eight in six weeks. And I'm here to tell you about them.

No. 1 -- Max, 39
I met Max for sushi at Country Station in the Mission. Three things disqualified Max: 1) missing tooth and no mention of why said tooth is missing, 2) profile describes him as a "film-maker" but he is really one of the AV guys at City College, 3) not as tall as his purported 5'10"

No. 2 -- Cliff, 38
I met Cliff for a drink at Cha Cha Cha in the Mission. Cliff smokes, unfortunately, and being a new non-smoker I couldn't go there. Cliff is actually a fairly nice guy, seemed to be flailing in a career but was more interested in music so no big surprise.

No. 3 -- Mark, 52
I was supposed to meet Mark for a drink at Cozmo's in the Marina, but it wasn't open so I went down the street to Izzy's Steakhouse -- he met me there. Mark is an earnest, erstwhile Canadian and he doesn't look 52, but he is 52. After thinking about it for a couple of days I turned him down for date #2.

No. 4 -- Zack, 38
I met Zack for Thai food somewhere in the Upper Haight. Zack is from Boston, spent years trying to be a rock star, took a 5-week computer course and came out of it with a job as a systems analyst. He's come out of a horrible childhood with a good sense of humor and a positive outlook on life. I went out with Zack 3x but neither of us seems very interested in a relationship.

No. 5 -- Dan, 46
I met Dan for a glass of wine at Andalu on 16th Street. Dan creeped me out by looking at me with smoldering glances and touching my arm several times with intent. He was salivating. A wolf. Ew. Ick. I cried after the date with Dan because I missed Tad so much and if guys like Dan were who I would have to go out with I should just admit I'm hopeless.

No. 6 -- Bill, 39
I met Bill for a glass of wine at the Slow Club in Potrero Hill. Bill was so nervous he was gesticulating wildly and sort of pulling on his hair, making it stand up straight and stick out in lots of places. He is a scientist (ontology...the science of information) and he's new in town. I forget where he's from but most recently it's Austin. He's now known as the "mad scientist" and I am seeing him tomorrow night for sushi. On the 1 to 10 scale, Bill is a solid 7.

No. 7 -- Another Dan, 37
I met Dan outside his apartment bldg down the hill from mine. I picked him up on the way to Hotel Biron in Hayes Valley. He's from Champaign, IL, and went to school at U of I at the same time I was there. He is friends with my friends Randy and Steve, and we had a lot of fun things to talk about. Dan is investigating generating cap-and-trade credits through plankton farming to stop global warming. He's now known as the "plankton farmer" and I am seeing him Saturday night for dinner and a horror movie. On the 1 to 10 scale, Dan is an 8, but he could go much higher. I really liked his style.

No. 8 -- Bryce, 30
I met Bryce at the Village Tavern down the hill in Noe Valley. Bryce develops policy for sex education for teens through a non-profit. He seemed like a nice guy but I wasn't feeling it. He's too young anyway. I had been secretly hoping that he would be young and totally hot and in principle I could just hang out and have great sex with him but in fact the idea didn't appeal.

Coming soon, No. 9 -- Mateo, 35
I haven't met Mateo but his profile says he's tall. I am meeting him on Saturday afternoon for coffee (and frisbee :). I love his name and he's got that Latin thing going on. Depending on how the Latin thing is done, I could be into it. He's a huge skier and that wins points.

So it's an all-date weekend. Bill Friday night, Mateo Saturday afternoon, and Dan Saturday night. I'm very much hoping that I will find a new relationship that will help me finally get over Tad completely. I am still obsessing over Tad.

My therapist gave me a new weapon against the constant reminders of him. ACTION: Putting pepper on my eggs in the morning. THOUGHT: It was cute how Tad was embarrassed by the amount of pepper he put on his eggs. NEW STRATEGY: Oh, that was another thought about Tad. I don't want to think about him right now. How about some grated cheddar cheese on those eggs? ACTION: Sitting in my living room working, hear a motorcycle drive by: THOUGHT: Man I loved riding on the back of Tad's motorcycle, holding on to him. NEW STRATEGY: Oh, that was another thought about Tad. I don't want to think about him right now. I had better get back to work on blah blah blah.

Get it? It's zen. It's the power of now. Someone borrowed that book from me and I should just go buy a new one because the power of now keeps tapping me on the shoulder and I could use a refresher course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters