Sunday, October 22, 2006

I Love Sleeping In on Sunday Morning

Alas I woke up at 4:30 this morning and eventually gave up trying to fall asleep again so ok, I am awake and beginning my day at 5am. While I was in bed thinking I might get up, I thought about things I might do this morning (I am in Tahoe). Here is my list, truly in order of the way it occurred to me:
1) analyze the pull-out couch in the family room to see why it is so unbelievably uncomfortable
2) put the carpets back down and arrange the furniture now that everything is painted
3) get the fireplace going and drink coffee in front of it
4) clean the bathroom

What I have done in the last hour is this:
1) roll out the carpet runner for in front of the front door, vacuum both sides, pour coffee
2) put the fireplace back together, light the pilot, replace the glass, try to put the heavy copper cover back on, get frustrated and quit, sit down to drink coffee and think about how to wrestle the copper cover in place
3) check email, read old Mimi Smartypants entries from 2003

NO SEGUE REQUIRED
I am afraid of a bear at the house now and I have been thinking I should get a new dog to scare the bear away and to have a better first sense of any hauntings going on in the house.

The bear is a viable fear -- the neighbors next door (Amber and someone? Ben? they've lived there for a year and I just me them for some reason) told me that the bear broke into the neighbor's house across the street. And yes, I had seen the plywood covering their front door. Add to the fact that the bear tried to break into my house a week before we closed the deal two years ago. And that I replaced that bear wreck of a front door with a beautiful 2/3 beveled-glass, craftsman-style, mostly glass, mmmm-is-that-a-box-of-white-cheddar-cheez-its-I-can-see-on-the-kitchen-counter new less wood/more glass glass front door and I'm nervous about the bear. Perhaps I am being silly since I have never heard of a bear breaking into a house with people in it. But I am just one small person, and a very quiet sleeper!

Do you know I have seen that bear? Yes, with my very own eyes. He/she was probably 50 feet away, walking in front of Amber & Ben's house, and he/she casually turned back to look at my house since about twelve of us had rushed out the front door to see him/her. My friend Christian had gone outside to smoke a cigarette and in his casual and very quiet way, he had poked his head back inside and said "hey there's a bear out here." And there was. And let me tell you that bear is huge, bigger than a garden tractor, seemingly the size of a small shed. But cuddly somehow. Awfully cute.

The haunting is even sillier since it's very silly to believe in that sort of thing but I appreciated having a dog to keep me company last year when I was alone here. Now the house seems so big and empty and DID I JUST HEAR SOMETHING? occurs to me a lot. Also, IF I PUT MY HAND IN THE ROOM TO TURN ON THE LIGHT WILL SOMETHING GRAB MY HAND? The answer to these questions is, uh, no. And there is nothing under the bed. BUT A DOG WITH ITS HYPER-SENSITIVITY TO NETHER-WORLD PROCEEDINGS WOULD PROVIDE MORE ASSURANCE. Still, all that walking and feeding and being home to let him/her out and the chance that he/she would actually bite/hurt someone is outweighing the chance that a spirit or poltergeist inhabits my house.

I think I can put the copper cover back on if I get a very large pillow or two to raise it up to the right height. Maybe phone books would be better. I'm off to try!

Ah, but one last thought -- I finished recovering the couch and it's truly quite amazing. About 80 hours of work, I estimate. $300 for upholstery fabric. And poof, goodbye purple couch, hello tasteful carmel-beige. Am I living the dream of many future homemakers of america or what?

1 Comments:

Blogger OhTheJoys said...

I miss you.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters