Monday, December 11, 2006

Dude Where's My Car?

Party update: It was raining so damn hard when I left for Party #1 that I dropped the charity auction gift for Party #2 in the water on the ground. It was a picture frame and lucky for me the glass didn't break. Nonetheless it was a bad way to begin the odyssey of Saturday night party-going.

I finally made it to Orinda (did I say it was forty minutes away? Strike that, it is one hour and twenty minutes when the rain is pounding away and everyone else in the Bay Area is mid-odyssey in their own party-going).

The whole way there I kept an eye on how much traffic was going the other direction and I decided there was no way in hell I would make it to Party #2 unless I turned around right now.

And that was fine. I was happy being at Mark and Dina's party.

The average age of the partygoers in Orinda was 40 but I put heavy emphasis on the average age because there were about fourteen children under 7 who balanced fourteen senior citizens in sequined-and-bejeweled Christmas finery. There were also around eight or ten people my age (the parents of the under-7 set) and I was the only single person there. But regardless of all that, it was fun.

Old men seem to love to talk to me and I love flirting with them so I had a great time chatting up the country club set. I also sat by the cookie table for quite a while so I got to make friends with a good number of the kids.
  • It suddenly strikes me that in my 20's my party strategy was to hang out near the keg to meet all the people at the party and nowadays my party strategy is to hang out near the cookie table.
Unfortunately my hostess's 75-year-old father backed into my Subaru as he was leaving so I've got a big dent across both the front and back doors. But you know, I am so infused with the Christmas spirit that I don't even mind. No improper flirtation occurred and I left the party late enough that traffic wasn't an issue on the way back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Hit Counters